How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Barbara Your Own Question
Barbara, Enrolled Agent
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 3366
Experience:  18+ years of experience in tax preparation; 25+ years of experience as a real estate/corporate paralegal.
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Barbara is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

IRS notice referenced 1099c I did not receive

Customer Question

***** *****. IRS notice referenced 1099c I did not receive
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: Credit card debit cancelled by Chase Bank for 2013. Notice from IRS received in 2015. Did not respond.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Tax Professionals generally expect a deposit of about $32 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Barbara replied 1 year ago.
Welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist you.You will need to amend your 2013 tax return to include the 1099-C as income. The IRS considers any debt that is cancelled as taxable income unless you can exclude it by using Form 982 (i.e., due to insolvency).,-Reduction-of-Tax-Attributes-Due-to-Discharge-of-Indebtedness-(and-Section-1082-Basis-Adjustment)Please let me know if I can assist you further.Thank you and best regards,Barb