Tax

Have a Tax Question? Ask a Tax Expert

Tax

My son is disabled and made 12,000 income W2 this year. I contribute

Customer Question
more than 50% of his...
My son is disabled and made 12,000 income W2 this year. I contribute more than 50% of his living expense (rent/utility/food)and know he must file a return. Can I still take him as a ded. if he sas someone else claims him when he files his return. I have always claimed him, but his income is more this year.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Tax
4/15/2016
Tax Professional: Lev, Tax Advisor replied 1 year ago
Lev
Lev, Tax Advisor
Yes - you still may claim your child as a dependent.That mainly because of his disability and because he doesn't provide more than half of his own support.For qualifications - see page 12 - let me know if you need further help with determination.http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/p501.pdf
Tests To Be a Qualifying Child:1. The child must be your son, daughter, stepchild, foster child, brother, sister, half brother, half sister, stepbrother, stepsister, or a descendant of any of them.2. The child must be (a) under age 19 at the end of the year and younger than you (or your spouse if filing jointly), (b) under age 24 at the end of the year, a student, and younger than you (or your spouse if filing jointly), or (c) any age if permanently and totally disabled.3. The child must have lived with you for more than half of the year.4. The child must not have provided more than half of his or her own support for the year.5. The child must not be filing a joint return for the year (unless that joint return is filed only to claim a refund of withheld income tax or estimated tax paid)..If ALL these conditions are met - your child is a dependent.My main concern is related to the test#4. The child must not have provided more than half of his or her own support for the yearBut as far as this test satisfied - you are OK..I appreciate if you take a moment to rate the answer.Experts are ONLY credited when answers are rated positively.If you still have any doubts, need clarification - please be sure to ask.I am here to help you with all tax related issues.
Lev
Lev
Lev, Tax Advisor