How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Angie Your Own Question
Angie, Tax Preparer
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 226
Experience:  Bookkeeping, Profit and Loss, Balance SheetsAll types of US Taxes, Tennessee taxes, Personal, business, payroll, sales tax etc.
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Angie is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I did a partial early withdraw from a retirement account from

Customer Question

I did a partial early withdraw from a retirement account from a job I had 17 years ago.
I understand that you lose 20% ( I think) + have to pay tax on the balance I actually received.
BUT - what happens to the "penalty" money? How do I - if I in fact am supposed to - account for that in my tax return.
I am using TURBO TAX and it did not ask any questions - just to punch in info from the W2 specific to the $$ I received.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Angie replied 1 year ago.
The penalty will appear based on the code on the 1099-R it can be seen on the 1040 on line 59