How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Barbara Your Own Question
Barbara, Enrolled Agent
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 3801
Experience:  20+ years of experience in tax preparation; 30+ years of experience as a real estate/corporate paralegal.
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Barbara is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am an American citizen living in Thailand with my non US

Customer Question

I am an American citizen living in Thailand with my non US resident wife.
I was overseas for the entire 2015 year. My income comes from wholesaling my art to a Hawaii business. I have a PO Box in Massachusetts where my checks and mail (including tax stuff) is delivered. I have a bank account in Massachusetts where my checks are deposited by my parents who pick up my mail.
Question is do I have to pay state tax in Hawaii or Massachusetts? I do not own or rent property in Massachusetts nor is my drivers license from there. Only thing that links me to Massachusetts is the PO Box and Bank account.
Thank You
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Barbara replied 1 year ago.
Welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist you.Based on the information you provided, you would not file a MA state return or be responsible to pay taxes in MA.You will file a Hawaii state return and pay taxes to Hawaii.Please let me know if I can assist you further.Thank you and best regards,Barb
Expert:  Barbara replied 1 year ago.
Just following up with you to see if you have any other questions or concerns. If so, please come back to me here, and I will be happy to assist you.Best regards,Barb
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Id like to know why you say I need to file Hawaii tax. Ive asked other experts including ones from Hawaii and they say that since I dont live in Hawaii or own a business there I do not need to file of pay Hawaii tax. I wholesale my product to a business (that I do not own) in Hawaii from Thailand.
Expert:  Barbara replied 1 year ago.
My apologies. If you are not a resident or have a business in Hawaii, no need to file a return or pay tax in Hawaii. I was under the impression from your original question that you were transacting business in Hawaii.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Is selling something to a business in Hawaii the same as transacting business in Hawaii? Can you explain the difference?
Expert:  Barbara replied 1 year ago.
Nexus in Hawaii--i.e., office, warehouse, store, etc.Please take a moment to rate my answer since that is the only way I receive credit for answering you and alerts Just Answer to compensate me for a portion of the fee you previously paid.