How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Barbara Your Own Question
Barbara, Enrolled Agent
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 3357
Experience:  18+ years of experience in tax preparation; 25+ years of experience as a real estate/corporate paralegal.
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Barbara is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have a question. JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more

Customer Question

HI I have a question.
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: yes. ok. my father passed away and had a IRA. my daughter who is also my dependent was given approx. 5,350.00 as her share .she was sent a 1099-R. I was told I cannot use her as a this true?.that does not sound right to me.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Tax Professionals generally expect a deposit of about $32 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Barbara replied 1 year ago.
Welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist you.If you daughter meets the requirements to be claimed as your dependent as a qualifying child, you can claim her. Your daughter will file her own tax return to report the 1099-R and will note on her return that she is being claimed as a dependent on someone else's tax return (yours).Please let me know if I can assist you further.Thank you and best regards,Barb
Expert:  Barbara replied 1 year ago.
Just following up with you to see if you have any other questions or concerns. If so, please come back to me here, and I will be happy to assist you.Best regards,Barb