Tax

Have a Tax Question? Ask a Tax Expert

Tax

I have an ira. I have dual citizenship with the U.K. I am moving

Customer Question
back to the uk permanently...
I have an ira. I have dual citizenship with the U.K. I am moving back to the uk permanently and will have no other assets in the U.S. Primerica is telling me that they cannot do a monthly international bank transfer using the IBAN, BIC and SWIFT international banking codes. They are telling me they have to issue me a paper check in U.S. Dollars which I will then have to deposit in my U.K. Bank account.! Is this correct? I find the whole thing unbelievable.
JA: The Accountant will know how to help. Anything else I can tell the Accountant before I connect you two?
Customer: No
JA: I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Accountant about your situation and connect you two.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Tax
4/14/2016
Tax Professional: Lev, Tax Advisor replied 1 year ago
Lev
Lev, Tax Advisor
There is nothing in the law that prevents international transfers.Most likely that is an internal policy of the financial institution.What you may do - transfer distributions to the US bank - and do international transfer from that bank account.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I will have NO bank account in the U.S. I will have NOTHING in the U.S. I will only have my IRA and eventually my Social Security.
You may easily open a bank account in the US - that should not be an issue,however if you want to avoid that - you may either accept there offer to mail you a paper check ORyou may want to communicate with a different company and transfer your IRA there... But if they are not doing international transfers - you may not force them.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
You CANNOT have a U.S. Bank account if you don't have a U.S. Address. Even I know that! You have been no help whatsoever. Did you even read my question? Which companies have IRA's who would do an international wire transfer to a U.K. Bank account?
I fee that you perfectly know what to do...Hope someone else will be better help for your situation.
Tax Professional: ShawnA, CPA, Professor, CFP. CGMA, Business Consultant, Professor, PFS I have decades of experience answering these questions. replied 1 year ago
ShawnA
ShawnA, CPA, Professor, CFP. CGMA, Business Consultant, Professor, PFS I have decades of experience answering these questions.
Hello. I'm so sorry about what happened. I will offer you a call and because of the previous issue I will lower the price from the normal $52 price.
ShawnA
ShawnA