How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Robin D. Your Own Question
Robin D.
Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 15716
Experience:  15years with H & R Block. Divisional leader, Instructor
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Robin D. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

We were a married couple living together in our single-family

Customer Question

We were a married couple living together in our single-family residence all of 2015. Our income was; cOMBINED sOCIAL sECURITY $30,297.60
Union Pension $12.421.44
total $42.719.04
We had no other income.
Do we need to file a 2015 Tax return?
If so, how much Social Sec urity is taxaxble
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Robin D. replied 1 year ago.
HelloYou look at half your SSA ($15149) and all your other income ($12421). If those are more than you base for SSA then some of the SSA is taxable.$32,000 is the base for married couples filing jointly.As your amount would be $27570 you are below the base so none is taxable.Your pension is below the amount that requires you file. So you are not required to file.You are required to click a positive rating if I am to be credited with the response.You have to actively click on a rating and click submit. Smiley Faces or Stars.
Expert:  Robin D. replied 1 year ago.
Checking to see if you responded