How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Robin D. Your Own Question
Robin D.
Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 15610
Experience:  15years with H & R Block. Divisional leader, Instructor
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Robin D. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have taxable income from a job and my husband has ssdi income

Customer Question

I have taxable income from a job and my husband has ssdi income and 7400.00 in taxable income, would it benefit me to file married filing separately?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Robin D. replied 1 year ago.
HelloUsually no. The SSDI could have some taxable if you file jointly but if you file separately his SSDI is going to have tax for your husband's income. A separate return gives the person receiving SSDI a base amount of $0. I would suggest you calculate both ways and then see which status gives your household the better tax treatment. There is no way to know which is better until you actually run the calculation for tax.