How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Angie Your Own Question
Angie, Tax Preparer
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 226
Experience:  Bookkeeping, Profit and Loss, Balance SheetsAll types of US Taxes, Tennessee taxes, Personal, business, payroll, sales tax etc.
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Angie is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am a senior citizen what has been ill over the past year.

Customer Question

I am a senior citizen what has been ill over the past year. I just had surgery and hospitalization again and am presently in a sub acute rehab facility. I have no idea what my tax liability is or will be for 2015. How do I go about filing for an extension if I can't get the taxes done to understand what or if I may owe. Can you please give me some direction.
Thank you
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Lev replied 1 year ago.
First of all because there is no much time left - you would need to file for extension.The deadline to file an extension of time to file your individual tax return is April 18th (April 19th if you live in Maine or Massachusetts).Use Form 4868, Application for Automatic Extension of Time To File U.S. Individual Income Tax Return can also get an extension by paying all or part of your estimated income tax due and indicate that the payment is for an extension using Direct Pay, the Electronic Federal Tax Payment System (EFTPS), or a credit or debit card. This way you won’t have to file a separate extension form and you will receive a confirmation number for your records.Let me know if you need any further help.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I do need further help. Due to my illness and subsequent read, I am not able to even gater
Expert:  Lev replied 1 year ago.
I am sorry for your situation...When you file for the extension - you will have additional 6 months to gather all tax information.It must come in mail - and most likely you already have all reporting forms.If you are not sure if there is anything missed - you may order the transcript from the IRS.Here is a place where to order and it will come to you in mail
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Expert:  Angie replied 1 year ago.
I receive a request to assist you. I am happy to help you with your issue. Are you asking for help with filing an extension? I will be glad to do that for you, however I will need to get some personal information in order to submit the extension request electronically to the IRS.I can also file your taxes for you if you desire, or I can research someone in your area that will be able to help you with them.