How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Robin D. Your Own Question
Robin D.
Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 15747
Experience:  15years with H & R Block. Divisional leader, Instructor
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Robin D. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I earn some extra money on the side as an independent

Customer Question

I earn some extra money on the side as an independent contractor where I sell stuff from my home. I spent some money on advertising and used my boyfriend's credit card. I want to report the advertising costs as business expenses for this year's tax return. I have the receipts which show that the account is in my name but will the IRS ever request credit card statements? I'm concerned because the credit card statements are in my boyfriend's name but I paid for the advertising costs... we share income anyways but both file separately.Should I be worried if I report the advertising as business expenses even though the credit card that was used to pay is not in my name?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Robin D. replied 1 year ago.
HelloIf you have the receipts for the account and they show paid that is all you need. The fact that you used someone else's card would not be looked at. The IRS would not ask for the credit card records.You should not be worried but you should retain your receipts.You are required to click a positive rating if I am to be credited with the response.You have to actively click on a rating and click submit. Smiley Faces or Stars.