Tax

Have a Tax Question? Ask a Tax Expert

Tax

I just got divorced in November 2015. What is my marital status

Customer Question
for 2015? JA: The Accountant will...
I just got divorced in November 2015. What is my marital status for 2015?
JA: The Accountant will know how to help. Please tell me more so we can help you best.
Customer: What is my filing status for 2015 Tax return?
JA: Anything else I can tell the Accountant before I connect you two?
Customer: what about carry forward tax credits, are those split 50/50?
JA: I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Accountant about your situation and connect you two.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Tax
4/13/2016
Tax Professional: Lev, Tax Advisor replied 1 year ago
Lev
Lev, Tax Advisor
Your martial status is determined on the LAST day of the year.Thus if you were not married on Dec 31, 2015 - you are considered as not married for all 2015.That is for tax purposes only.For other purposes determination might be different.Please let me know what specific credits are you going to carry forward and in which state do you live.
Wallstreet Esq.
Wallstreet Esq.
Wallstreet Esq., Tax Attorney