Tax

Have a Tax Question? Ask a Tax Expert

Tax

My investment from 2012 was sold in 2015.Initial investment

Customer Question
My investment from 2012 was...
My investment from 2012 was sold in 2015.
Initial investment amount:
$180,000.00
When I cashed it in I received a check for:
$197,537.50
I paid taxes on amounts:
2012 - Ordinary: $1,094.03 Capital Gains: $1,696.61
2013 - Ordinary: $1,804.21 Capital Gains: $1,148.33
2014 - Ordinary: $1,588.44 Capital Gains: $1,939.97
Totaling $9,271.59
That would value my investment amount and amount I paid taxes on to be:
$189,271.59
The amount I received, $197,537.50 minus the investment taxed amount, $189,271.59 is:
$8,265.91 far less than what was reported on my Capital Gains.
Why do I have to pay Capital Gains taxes on $11,984.26 (as reported on my 1099-B) vs. on $8,265.91? Where do I enter the previously declared interest and Capital gains I paid taxes on?
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Tax
4/13/2016
Tax Professional: Lev, Tax Advisor replied 1 year ago
Lev
Lev, Tax Advisor
Were there any fees charged on that account ?We need to understand the difference between $11,984.26 vs. on $8,265.91 That is not related to tax calculations - but you definitely want to know where the money went?Please verify all your statements.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Advisor fees paid:
2012 $1415.80
2013 $2679.93
2014 $2501.83
2015 $1860.44
.... per their tax statements, totaling $8458.00
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
All other statements were as in the initial question.My investment from 2012 was sold in 2015.Initial investment amount:
$180,000.00
$197,537.50I paid taxes on amounts:
Totaling $9,271.59That would value my investment amount and amount I paid taxes on to be:
$189,271.59The amount I received, $197,537.50 minus the investment taxed amount, $189,271.59 is:
$8,265.91 far less than what was reported on my Capital Gains.Why do I have to pay Capital Gains taxes on $11,984.26 (as reported on my 1099-B) vs. on $8,265.91? Where do I enter the previously declared interest and Capital gains I paid taxes on?
OK - that clarified the difference.You may deduct advisor fees as investment expenses - on schedule A line 23That may be deducted every year such fees were paid.But that doesn't affect your capital gain reported on 1099BYou do include that gain into your tax return.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I did for 2014, was planning to for 2015.The numbers still don't add up.Can I do anything with the fees from 2012 and 2013? I was unaware of the deduction then, and probably would not hit the 2%, if it was applicable in those years.
Yes - you may amend these tax returns - and if you did not report investment expenses - that may be corrected.
For 2012 tax return - be sure it is sent before Apr 15 - so you would not miss the deadline to claim a refund.Yes - 2% floor limit was applicable - but you may include your job related expenses, tax preparation cost, and some other items..I appreciate if you take a moment to rate the answer.Experts are ONLY credited when answers are rated positively.If you still have any doubts, need clarification - please be sure to ask.I am here to help you will all tax related issues.
Lev
Lev
Lev, Tax Advisor