How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Richard Your Own Question
Richard, Tax Attorney
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 55607
Experience:  29 years of experience as a tax, real estate, and business attorney.
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Richard is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My daughter is a freshman in college. She had a summer job

Customer Question

my daughter is a freshman in college. She had a summer job and did a tax return of her own in 2015. She only made about $2500. She lived with us 9 month of the year and we supported her through her senior year in high school. I claimed her as a dependent on my turbo tax but when I electronically tried to file they rejected it because she filed her own return. Everyone I have talked said I should still be able to claim her. should I just send it in by Mail?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Good evening Megan. My name is ***** ***** I look forward to helping you. You likely clearly meet the requirements to claim her as a dependent as a qualifying child. Under the IRS guidelines ( n general, to be a taxpayer’s qualifying child, a person must satisfy four tests:Relationship — the taxpayer’s child or stepchild (whether by blood or adoption), foster child, sibling or stepsibling, or a descendant of one of these.Residence — has the same principal residence as the taxpayer for more than half the tax year. Exceptions apply, in certain cases, for children of divorced or separated parents, kidnapped children, temporary absences, and for children who were born or died during the year.Age — must be under the age of 19 at the end of the tax year, or under the age of 24 if a full-time student for at least five months of the year, or be permanently and totally disabled at any time during the year.Support — did not provide more than one-half of his/her own support for the year. Your daughter didn't need to claim herself as she wouldn't have had any tax liability anyway at that tax level. So, you can handle this one of two ways: i) she can amend her return so as not to claim herself; or ii) you can file a paper return (with an explanation) and the IRS will contact both of you that she was claimed by both of you and your daughter; at that point one of you can change it or you can each provide your supporting documentation to the IRS and the IRS will which case the dependent claim would go to you based on your facts. Thank you so much for allowing me to help you with your questions. I have done my best to provide information which fully addresses your question. If you have any follow up questions, please ask! If I have fully answered your question(s) to your satisfaction, I would appreciate you rating my service as OK, Good or Excellent (hopefully Good or Excellent). Otherwise, I receive no credit for assisting you today. I thank you in advance for taking the time to provide me a positive rating!