How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Angie Your Own Question
Angie, Tax Preparer
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 226
Experience:  Bookkeeping, Profit and Loss, Balance SheetsAll types of US Taxes, Tennessee taxes, Personal, business, payroll, sales tax etc.
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Angie is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

At one point in 2015, I worked company that in 2014 had

Customer Question

At one point in 2015, I worked for a company that in 2014 had closed the physical NYC office and everyone from then worked from home. I lived in Connecticut at the time. On my 2015 taxes, I was still deducted NY state taxes (as well as CT state taxes, where I was living/working from home office FT). Shouldn't I be able to get those paid NY taxes back, since there was no physical office for the company anywhere in NY state? If so how/where do that on tax filing?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Charles Markham replied 1 year ago.
You don't get those taxes back, per se. You file a non-resident tax return in NY and pay taxes on the NY wages. Then when you file your CT tax return you claim a tax credit for the taxes paid to NY. Essentially, you should be able to get a nearly full credit on CT which in effect is like "getting the money back".
Expert:  Angie replied 1 year ago.
The previous expert's answer is correct. Do you need clarification of any point or follow up information?