How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jonathan Tierney Your Own Question
Jonathan Tierney
Jonathan Tierney, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 322
Experience:  Tax Accountant at Praxair, Inc.
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Jonathan Tierney is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am required to work at an alternate location when needed.

Customer Question

I am required to work at an alternate location when needed. The alternate location adds 30 miles to my commute and I have to pay tolls. My employer does not reimburse me for the mileage or the tolls. Can I deduct the milage and tolls?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Jonathan Tierney replied 1 year ago.
Hi, my name is ***** ***** I can help. Yes, expenses of traveling to an alternate work location are deductible as an unreimbursed employed business expense on Schedule A. For 2015 you can deduct $0.575 per miles plus the costs of tolls and parking. I hope this answers your question. Please let me know if I can clarify anything or answer any additional questions.Thanks, Jonathan