Tax

Have a Tax Question? Ask a Tax Expert

Tax

NOL carryforward JA: The Accountant will know how to help.

Customer Question
NOL carryforward JA: The Accountant will...
NOL carryforward
JA: The Accountant will know how to help. Please tell me more so we can help you best.
Customer: In 2013, I filed a NOL of roughly $40000 (1045 - Schedule A). I also filed an Election to Waive NOL Carryback as all of my NOL were sustained during that year. Finally, I also filed an Election Not to Take Special Depreciation Allowance with the "5 year" box checked. I did not take any part of this NOL as part of my 2014 return, but would like to use it as part of my 2015 return. Here are my questions:- Since I didn't reference the NOL in my 2014 return, do I have to file an amended return? I was told in 2013 that I could use the NOL at any point over the next 5 years, but want to confirm.- Am I able to use a portion of the NOL for my 2015 taxes, or do I have to use the whole thing? Entering ~$10,000 as a NOL amount gives me the same refund amount as if I entered the entire $40k, so I want to understand if I can only use a portion of the total NOL.
JA: Anything else I can tell the Accountant before I connect you two? We have a 30 day refund policy so you can simply email***@******.*** and they will try to fix your problem or refund your money.
Customer: no
JA: I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Accountant about your situation and connect you two.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Tax
4/12/2016
Tax Professional: Jason M. Tyra, CPA, Certified Public Accountant (CPA) replied 1 year ago
Jason M. Tyra, CPA
Jason M. Tyra, CPA, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)
Hi There:You cannot selectively use a NOL carryforward. You do have the option to waive the carryback period, but otherwise the NOL must be used as soon as possible.
Jason M. Tyra, CPA
Jason M. Tyra, CPA