How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Arthur Rubin Your Own Question
Arthur Rubin
Arthur Rubin, Tax Preparer
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 1561
Experience:  22 years of tax preparation experience, including individual, trust, and estate returns.
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Arthur Rubin is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have mistakenly paid 2015 1040 tax twice, once by direct

Customer Question

I have mistakenly paid 2015 1040 tax twice, once by direct withdrawal and once by credit card. How should i take excess payment off estimated tax? If i can't do that, what can i do?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Arthur Rubin replied 1 year ago.
I'm afraid it's not your option, any more. If the IRS (or other taxing agency) doesn't choose to refund the double-payment, then, after any other debts to the agency are settled, the excess should be allocated to estimated taxes. Whatever happens, the payment won't be lost completely. If there is an installment due for estimated taxes on 4/18/16, you won't be able to find out what the agency did, before that deadline.