Tax

Have a Tax Question? Ask a Tax Expert

Tax

I have mistakenly paid 2015 1040 tax twice, once by direct

Customer Question
withdrawal and once by credit...
I have mistakenly paid 2015 1040 tax twice, once by direct withdrawal and once by credit card. How should i take excess payment off estimated tax? If i can't do that, what can i do?
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Tax
4/12/2016
Tax Professional: Arthur Rubin, Tax Preparer replied 1 year ago
Arthur Rubin
Arthur Rubin, Tax Preparer
I'm afraid it's not your option, any more. If the IRS (or other taxing agency) doesn't choose to refund the double-payment, then, after any other debts to the agency are settled, the excess should be allocated to estimated taxes. Whatever happens, the payment won't be lost completely. If there is an installment due for estimated taxes on 4/18/16, you won't be able to find out what the agency did, before that deadline.
Arthur Rubin
Arthur Rubin
Arthur Rubin, Tax Preparer