How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Lev Your Own Question
Lev, Tax Advisor
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 29926
Experience:  Taxes, Immigration, Labor Relations
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Lev is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Trying to determine if there is ever a case where the irs allows

Customer Question

trying to determine if there is ever a case where the irs allows married 50/50 S-Corp owners to have one passive and one active participant.
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: husband's consulting business in which he materially participates and owns 50% of s-corp. wife works a different full time job but is a 50% owner of s-corp and does not materially participate. i actually WANT passive status for me to offset passive losses. i don't have anything to do with his business except file the taxes and a bit of money managing.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Tax Professionals generally expect a deposit of about $32 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Lev replied 1 year ago.
There is NO and there is NO may be such cases BECAUSE the statute for S-corporation requires that S-corporation may have ONLY one class of stock.That means - all shareholders are equals and income and deductions reported on K1 MUST be apportioned according to the number of shares each shareholder owns.If the apportioning is different - that is treated as having different classes of stock - and such S-corporation would be re-classified to C-corporation.So there is no passive passive status as all shareholders are equal..Another issue that shareholders may or may not be an employees of said S-corporation.Whether the shareholder is also an employee - and provides services to S-corporation - he/she would receive wages reported on W2 - that is taxable income for the shareholder but deductible expense for S-corporation.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Your first paragraph is incorrect. Owners of s corps can all have common stock but they have to individually meet the passive activity rules. I'm a CPA .....not the tax end but I'm looking for a real answer here.
Expert:  Lev replied 1 year ago.
You are correct - that income or loss passed to shareholders is individually classified as active or passive based on material participation.So if the shareholder does not materially participate during the yea in that business activity - the income or loss passed to that shareholder is passive.
Expert:  Lev replied 1 year ago.
However - specifically for your situation you might be aware that YOUR participation in an activity includes your spouse's participation. This applies even if your spouse did not own any interest in the activity and you and your spouse do not file a joint return for the year.So it would not be possible for one spouse having passive income/loss and another spouse having nonpassive income/loss from the same activity.The statute is here (5) Participation by spouseIn determining whether a taxpayer materially participates, the participation of the spouse of the taxpayer shall be taken into account...I appreciate if you take a moment to rate the answer.Experts are ONLY credited when answers are rated positively.If you still have any doubts, need clarification - please be sure to ask.I am here to help you with all tax related issues.