How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Lev Your Own Question
Lev, Tax Advisor
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 29799
Experience:  Taxes, Immigration, Labor Relations
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Lev is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am a retired USPS employee. I filed my taxes with H & R Block

Customer Question

I am a retired USPS employee. I filed my taxes with H & R Block in 2013 and they did not report my Thrift Savings to the State of Alabama since I am retired and don't pay state taxes any longer. Now the State of Alabama says I owe them $3700.00. I contacted the TSP and they responded by saying they are tax exempt per 26 USC 501. However they say it could be taxable. Is TSP a defined benefit? I need and would greatly appreciate your help. I know a former USPS employee that received a letter from TSP and they didn't have to pay state taxes but unfortunately I can't get that letter. Thank you for your time.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Lev replied 1 year ago.
Distribution from Thrift Savings plan is taxable.You should receive a reporting form 1099R. Please verify if you have that form for 2013?The total distribution is reported on form 1099R box 1 and the taxable amount is reported in box 2a.
Expert:  Lev replied 1 year ago.
Please take a look at this form and let me know what are these amounts.That is for federal tax purposes.However on the state level - income received from United States Civil Service Retirement System benefits is EXEMPT from state income tax.See here appreciate if you take a moment to rate the answer.Experts are ONLY credited when answers are rated positively.If you still have any doubts, need clarification - please be sure to ask.I am here to help you with all tax related issues.