How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Wallstreet Esq. Your Own Question
Wallstreet Esq.
Wallstreet Esq., Tax Attorney
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 585
Experience:  10 years experience
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Wallstreet Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I receive a 1099-A form from my time share. the property

Customer Question

hello. i receive a 1099-A form from my time share. the property was taken back there was no loss or gain. i file my own taxes i just want to make sure of how to fill this form out
JA: The Accountant will know how to help. Anything else I can tell the Accountant before I connect you two?
Customer: no that was it
JA: I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Accountant about your situation and connect you two.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Lane replied 1 year ago.
Hi,...A foreclosure, short sale and deed in lieu are all treated as a sale they call it a "deemed sale")...Gain or loss on this "transaction" is calculated by using your purchase price as basis and the lower of fair market price or outstanding mortgage as the "sales" price....SO, if if you have software such as turbotax you'll just report thus as a sale where the sales price is lower of fair market or outstanding loan and the your purchase price is your actual purchase price ... this will generate a losss,...But because time shares are labeled as personal use property, there's be no tax deduction ( BUT no taxable gain either)