Tax

Have a Tax Question? Ask a Tax Expert

Tax

I changed jobs in 2015 & as a result, was without health insurance

Customer Question
last two months of 2015...
i changed jobs in 2015 & as a result, was without health insurance last two months of 2015 because company I work for had a probationary period. Do I now have to pay a penalty for those two months? I checked into exemptions & got the impression I could qualify for #8965.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Tax
Answered in 1 minute by:
4/11/2016
Tax Professional: Lane, JD, CFP, MBA, CRPS replied 1 year ago
Lane
Lane, JD, CFP, MBA, CRPS
Hi, Which exemption did you qualify for?
Here's one that MIGHT apply: ...Unable to renew existing coverage—You were notified that your health insurance policy was not renewable and you considered the other plans available to be unaffordable.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Yes
Here's the form (table) that lists all exemptions....https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-prior/i8965--2015.pdf
If you'll look on the table, you'll see that this one isn't filed WITH the return ... it requires an exemption from the marketplace....I've found (unlike the IRS numbers) their telephone customer service to be very helpful...,.You can call them here: 1-***-***-****
I hope this has helped....Please let me know if you have any questions at all....If this HAS helped, and you DON’T have other questions … I'd appreciate a positive rating (using the faces or stars on your screen, and then clicking “submit”) JustAnswer.com will not credit us expert users here, until you have rated positively....Thank you!Lane……I hold a law degree (JD, Juris Doctorate), with concentration in Tax Law, Estate law & Corporate law, an MBA, with specialization in finance & tax, as well as CFP® and CRPS designations. - I’ve been providing financial, Social Security/Medicare, estate, corporate & tax advice since 1986.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
How much is the penalty I would have to pay? Is it equivalent to the amount of the COBRA premium I was offered?
No, it's calculated on the form you mentioned, ... It can be a flat fee or a percentage based fee....Here's a calculator for figuring the penalty...http://www.hrblock.com/aca-tax-impact/aca-tax-calculator/#/...And here's a good way to see IF one of the exemptions applies:...http://www.hrblock.com/aca-tax-impact/aca-tax-calculator/#/
Lane
Lane
Lane, JD, CFP, MBA, CRPS