Tax

Have a Tax Question? Ask a Tax Expert

Tax

If I failed to take a required minimum distribution

Customer Question
for seven years do I...
If I failed to take a required minimum distribution for seven years do I file seven 5329s for seven years and do I put the current years RMD on each or do I have to include the prior undistributed amounts also?
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Tax
4/10/2016
Tax Professional: Lev, Tax Advisor replied 1 year ago
Lev
Lev, Tax Advisor
You will need to take RMD distribution as soon as possible.If you will pay penalty for prior years - no need to amend - the IRS will calculate penalty for you.If you want to ask to abate penalty - file form 5329 with your current year tax return only.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I took all prior year distributions in 2015 so I read that no 5329 can be filed for 2015. Does this mean I file stand alone 5329s for just 2014 or for all prior years?
You must file Form 5329 if you did not receive the minimum required distribution from your qualified retirement plan.Generally - you need to file Form 5329 with your 2015 Form 1040 by the due date, including extensions, of your Form 1040.If you do not have to file a 2015 income tax return, complete and file Form 5329 by itself at the time and place you would be required to file Form 1040..What you need to complete - Part IX Additional Tax on Excess Accumulation in Qualified Retirement Plans - lines 52 - 55.Taxes on excess accumulation are calculated separately for each year in which RMD were required.If you are filing Form 5329 for a prior year, you must use the prior year's version of the form.Here are some forms.https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-prior/f5329--2015.pdfhttps://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-prior/f5329--2014.pdfhttps://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-prior/f5329--2013.pdfIf you are seeking a waiver - see instructions - last page - Waiver of tax.https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/i5329.pdf.If you took all RMD in 2015 - you woudl not need form 5329 for 2015 and woudl not be subject to additional tax.For 2014 - for instance - if you filed your tax return - and want to add form 5329 - you need to amend it using form 1040X - and attach form 5329If you did not file 2014 tax return and was not required to file - you would file stand alone 5329 for that tax year.
Lev
Lev
Lev, Tax Advisor