Lane
Lane, JD, CFP, MBA, CRPS
Experience:  Law Degree, specialization in Tax Law and Corporate Law, CFP and MBA, Providing Financial & Tax advice since 1986
1929974

My wife does not work does she have to pay tax on social security

Customer Question

My wife does not work does she have to pay tax on social security - she has no other income
Category: Tax
Expert:  Lane replied 1 year ago.
Hi,...Whether or not (and how much of) a social security benefit is taxable is based on TOTAL household income....More accurately, it's based on what Social Security calls "combined income," with is actually a very specific term meaning 1/2 of social security income PUS other household income....If you:...file a federal tax return as an "individual" and your combined income* isbetween $25,000 and $34,000, you may have to pay income tax on up to 50 percent of your benefits.more than $34,000, up to 85 percent of your benefits may be taxable....file a joint return, and you and your spouse have a combined income* that isbetween $32,000 and $44,000, you may have to pay income tax on up to 50 percent of your benefitsmore than $44,000, up to 85 percent of your benefits may be taxable....are married and file a separate tax return, you probably will pay taxes on your benefits....And again that "combined income:"...*Your adjusted gross income+ Nontaxable interest+ ½ of your Social Security benefits= Your "combined income"
Expert:  Lane replied 1 year ago.
You can read more about that here:...https://www.ssa.gov/planners/taxes.html...Please let me know if you have any questions at all....If this HAS helped, and you DON’T have other questions … I'd appreciate a positive rating (using the faces or stars on your screen, and then clicking “submit...That’s the only way JustAnswer will credit us for the work here....Thank you!Lane……I hold a law degree (JD, Juris Doctorate), with concentration in Tax Law, Estate law & Corporate law, an MBA, with specialization in finance & tax, as well as CFP® and CRPS designations. - I’ve been providing financial, Social Security/Medicare, estate, corporate & tax advice since 1986.