How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask emc011075 Your Own Question
emc011075, Tax adviser
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 3000
Experience:  IRS licensed Enrolled Agent and tax instructor
Type Your Tax Question Here...
emc011075 is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

We moved my dad into an adult family home in November 2015.

Customer Question

We moved my dad into an adult family home in November 2015. Are any of the fees paid to the home tax deductible?
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: My dad was moved because it was determined that he could no longer live in unsupervised and that he needed assistance with medications and activities of daily living.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Tax Professionals generally expect a deposit of about $32 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  emc011075 replied 1 year ago.
Hi. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to help you. Expenses for personal care are not deductible. Only part of the expenses that are directly related to medical or nursing care are deductible. You cannot deduct room and board, food, utilities, housekeeping services and such. Generally, cost of a nursing home is fully deductible (meals, room and board) since primary reason to be there is to receive medical treatment. But if the primary reason to be there is personal the expenses will have to be allocated.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
How do we allocate the cost?
Expert:  emc011075 replied 1 year ago.
Ask for itemize bill. The facility should be able to give you explanation of the charges. Expenses paid for nurse visit, trips to doctors, medications and such can be deducted. Expenses paid for room, board, social activities, meals, entertainment, utilities and other personal expenses are not deductible.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you. I will do that.
Expert:  emc011075 replied 1 year ago.
You're welcome. Is there anything else I can help you with today? And if this answered your question, please take a moment to rate my response so that I may receive credit for assisting you today. You find the rating bar on the top of the page – 5 stars. However, if you need clarification, or want to discuss this issue further, let me know. Thank you.