How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Robin D. Your Own Question
Robin D.
Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 15599
Experience:  15years with H & R Block. Divisional leader, Instructor
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Robin D. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I paid my adult childs tax penalty,going back 5yrs,can i claim

Customer Question

i paid my adult childs tax penalty,going back 5yrs,can i claim any of this money on my taxes?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Robin D. replied 1 year ago.
HelloIf this is a state tax that you paid and you were not liable for the debt then you cannot claim a deduction on Schedule A like is allowed normally for state taxes paid.If a federal tax obligation, those are not deductible even if you had paid your own. Federal taxes are not a deduction.Unfortunately, you would not have a deduction for the taxes you paid for someone else. You are required to click a positive rating if I am to be credited with the response.You have to actively click on a rating and click submit. Smiley Faces or Stars.
Expert:  Robin D. replied 1 year ago.
Checking to see if you responded