How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Robin D. Your Own Question
Robin D.
Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 15731
Experience:  15years with H & R Block. Divisional leader, Instructor
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Robin D. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

We have paid son's tuitions and books for

Customer Question

We have paid for our son's tuitions and books for college and paid on his student loan. My son is 24 and is still leaving at home and is not working. Are we able to claim the money that we have paid out on our tax returns 2015.
Please let me know if you need additional information.
Thank you.
Constance Stevenson
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Robin D. replied 1 year ago.
HelloIf your son is your dependent then you would be the only one that could claim the education costs.Education tax credits can help offset the costs of education. The American Opportunity (Hope Credit extended) and the Lifetime Learning Credit are education credits you can subtract in full from the federal income tax, not just deduct from taxable income. Age 24 if a full-time student your son would still be a dependent.The loan is not a deduction unless you are liable for the payment.You are required to click a positive rating if I am to be credited with the response.You have to actively click on a rating and click submit. Smiley Faces or Stars.
Expert:  Robin D. replied 1 year ago.
Checking to see if you responded