Tax

Have a Tax Question? Ask a Tax Expert

Tax

Do U.S. citizens living outside the country always have to

Customer Question
pay U.S. tax?...
Do U.S. citizens living outside the country always have to pay U.S. tax?
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Tax
4/9/2016
Tax Professional: Stephen G., Sr Income Tax Expert replied 1 year ago
Stephen G.
Stephen G., Sr Income Tax Expert
No. Not if they qualify for the foreign income tax exclusion on their foreign earned income and if they don't have any US unearned income. However, they would still be required to file a US income tax return to claim the foreign income tax exclusion if the meet the qualifications for the exclusion.
Here's a link to the webpage on IRS.gov that explains the details of the Foreign-Earned-Income-Exclusion:https://www.irs.gov/Individuals/International-Taxpayers/Figuring-the-Foreign-Earned-Income-Exclusion
Just Checking in....................Do you have any follow-up questions?If not, please remember to rate my response as that is the only way we receive credit for our work.Steve G.
Stephen G.
Stephen G.
Stephen G., Sr Income Tax Expert