Tax

Have a Tax Question? Ask a Tax Expert

Tax

I have to fly to Costa Rica leaving in less then 2

Customer Question
I have to fly to...
I have to fly to Costa Rica for work leaving in less then 2 weeks , I have an appt to get my passport , however I have not filed a tax return in 3 yrs . I am filing this year and going to ask to get on a payment plan . My question is : will this keep me from getting my passport when I go down next week to get my passport ? I have been meaning to get my tax issue in order but kept putting it off stupidly . Now I'm real concerned it will stop me from getting a passport as I read all this new information. I am only needing to gone for 4 days . Any advice
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Tax
4/9/2016
Tax Professional: Lane, JD, CFP, MBA, CRPS replied 1 year ago
Lane
Lane, JD, CFP, MBA, CRPS
You are more than likely OK ... The new law that was passed last December only applies to tax debt of 50,000 or more....Because you are still under the IRS statute of limitations of three years for assessing a tax, you have very possibly timed the well (although it may be a "photo finish") ... meaning that three years is usually when they get serious about sending notices and collection actions BECAUSE the time is running out on them....(Some say this is done on purposes, to let the interest and penalties pile up as much as possible before they pull the proverbial trigger)... Starting last January, if you have a federal tax debt amounting to $50,000 or more, the IRS can get your passport cancelled by sending a message to the State Dept. to do so. That $50,000 includes penalties and interest....I would get them done, just to stop those penalties and interest for piling up, for one reason, possibly stop any collection efforts that ARE likely just now starting up , AND as a show of good faith.
I would do all three, send them in with a cover letter explaining that you want to become completely compliant and have set up a system to ensure this doesn't happen again (an important point, because IRS says that the rationale BEHIND the penalties is to get people to establish procedures to ensure future payment on time), AND send certified, so that you have proof that this was done.
If you need help getting this done let me know.......Please let me know if you have any questions at all....If this HAS helped, and you DON’T have other questions … I'd appreciate a positive rating (using the faces or stars on your screen, and then clicking “submit”) That’s the only way JustAnswer will credit us for the work here....Thank you!Lane……I hold a law degree (JD, Juris Doctorate), with concentration in Tax Law, Estate law & Corporate law, an MBA, with specialization in finance & tax, as well as CFP® and CRPS designations. - I’ve been providing financial, Social Security/Medicare, estate, corporate & tax advice since 1986.
Lane
Lane
Lane, JD, CFP, MBA, CRPS