emc011075
emc011075, Tax adviser
Experience:  IRS licensed Enrolled Agent and tax instructor
62958156

Can a return be refiled ( amended) to include a dependant (

Customer Question

Can a return be refiled ( amended) to include a dependant ( adult )?
Category: Tax
Expert:  emc011075 replied 1 year ago.
Hi. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to help you. If you want to change your filing of your return, you can by filing an amended return. You can change pretty much anything you want. If yo have a qualifying dependent and claiming him or her would give you additional refund, by all means go ahead and file an amended return.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Tax return was filed weeks ago person is awaiting a small return. The main question is can he now amend the return to include @ adult dependant who is handicapped and under his care. The dependant has not filed in over 9 years and lives in the tax filers home for several years.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It is imperative we get an answer before thr April deadline
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The dependant is a 64 yr old woman who needs help on a weekly sometimes daily basis. Can we get an answer soon or now?
Expert:  emc011075 replied 1 year ago.
There are two types of dependents: qualifying child OR qualifying relative. Here are tests for qualifying relative: https://apps.irs.gov/app/vita/content/globalmedia/table_2_dependency_exemption_relative_4012.pdfAs long as the dependent meet the test, he or she can be claimed as somebody's dependent. If the person in question already filed and expect a refund I would strongly advice to wait until he receives it before filing any amended return to avoid any issues.
Expert:  emc011075 replied 1 year ago.
If they are not related, in order to qualify, the dependent's income must be less than 4K and they must share the same household for the entire year.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Approx what is the fee (return) for support of a dependant?
Expert:  emc011075 replied 1 year ago.
What do you mean with a fee? The refund will depend on the taxpayer overall tax situation. $4000 deduction (value of the exemption) will result in $400 refund in 10% tax bracket, and $600 in 15% tax bracket. If the taxpayer doesn't have enough taxable income, the refund will be smaller. There's no standard answer for that. It varies from individual to individual.
Expert:  emc011075 replied 1 year ago.
Any questions? Is there anything else I can help you with today? I see you offline now. So if this answered your question, please take a moment to rate my response so that I may receive credit for assisting you today. You find the rating bar on the top of the page – 5 stars. However, if you need clarification, or want to discuss this issue further, let me know. Thank you.