How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Lane Your Own Question
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 12050
Experience:  Law Degree, specialization in Tax Law and Corporate Law, CFP and MBA, Providing Financial & Tax advice since 1986
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Lane is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am a resident in a long-term Health Care Facility. I have

Customer Question

I am a resident in a long-term Health Care Facility. I have requested a receipt from the facility's business manager for the tax year 2015 room and board so as to file my federal income taxes.
So far, I have received the excuses and no results and the tax deadline readily approaches. How may I resolve this problem and ensure that I am provided a receipt?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Lev replied 1 year ago.
You might pay with personal checks?If so - you may use cancelled checks to proof your expenses.If you paid with credit card - you might have receipts - and these may be used as well.In additional - you received bills? If so - keep these bills as well.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I paid with checks, and was i remitted paperwork that read "balance due" instead of "payment in full" has the paperwork should have said in order to be utilized as proof of payment for federal tax.
My tax preparer was inconvenienced to consult banking statements that I had to mail to him and requested that I have pain a receipt depicting room-and-board costs from January 1st to December 31st 2015. I understand according to state of Tennessee regulations that facility has to provide an itemized receipt of payments incurred during my stay. How may I can tell the staff to comply?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Please excuse the typos, the last sentence should have read "how may I compel the staff to comply?
Expert:  Lev replied 1 year ago.
The IRS here identified some kind of supporting documents they are accepting for audit purposes for expenses include the following:Canceled checks or other documents that identify payee, amount, and proof of payment/electronic funds transferredCash register tapesAccount statementsCredit card receipts and statementsInvoicesPetty cash slips for small cash paymentsSo far - you may have copies of cancelled checked from your bank - and that would be perfectly accepted by the IRS as a proof of your payments.I am not sure if you will be able to force the facility to issue you a statement...Try to discuss with the manager. Otherwise - you might simply use these cancelled checks.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Once again, in my previous post I indicated that twice and I explained and asked the specific question, "how might I compel the business manager of this long-term health care facility to remit an all inclusive Room & Board receipt indicating full payment for the federal income tax year January 1st through December 31st, 2015?
Please do not provide any variant of answers which proved to be immaterial to the question. Proof of income to include canceled checks, banking statements, etcetra are not pertinent nor indicative of an appropriate answer to the question I asked.
So, I will ask once again. How do I compel the business manager of the long-term health care facility where I reside in the state of Tennessee to remit an all inclusive, paid in full Room & Board receipt from January 1st through December 31st, 2015?
As well, and once again, providing the previous answers approved by the IRS will not answer the question that I asked.
Thank you for your time and attention to this matter.
TL Mc Caleb, Jr
Expert:  Lev replied 1 year ago.
I am sorry,It seems as I am not able to provide the satisfactory answer.So - I will opt out in hope that other expert will address all your concerns.Please do not reply until you get a reply from another expert.
Expert:  Angie replied 1 year ago.
The previous expert answered your question correctly from a tax standpoint. It appears your question may need to be answered by an attorney rather than a tax professional. I will refer this to a moderator to change categories.
Expert:  Lane replied 1 year ago.
Hi - Am am a different expert....National standards for nursing homes serving as "extended care facilities" are contained in the Federal Medicare Health Insurance Program for the Aged....It's very likely that because of this federal legislation ( one part of which IS that residents are entitled to lists of what services are paid by Medicare and Medicaid and the additional services for which the residents will be charged, plus the fees for those services), they may worried other rights to which you are also entitled may be revealed as well; (such as the right to refuse treatment or medications)...Another Delineated right that might relate would be the following:...The resident has the right to access all records pertaining to himself or herself, including current clinical records within 24 hours (excluding weekend and holidays). At the cost of the community standard, the individual has a right to a copy of the records or any portion of the records.... These residents’ rights are part of the federal Nursing Home Reform Law enacted in 1987 in the Social Security Act....One option for help is to contact you state's Ombudsman's office. These people are charged with making sure that these rights are executed....IN Tennessee that would be.....***** ***** , State LTC OmbudsmanTN Commission on Aging and Disability***** ***** Bldg. ,***** 9th Floor Nashville, TN 37243Work:(###) ###-####ax:(###) ###-####..This site also contains more locak help in Tennessee as well:..., simply making them aware that you are aware of these federal mandates, and that their ability to receive medicare and medicaid funds are dependent on them, may help as well...Please let me know what questions you have from here.......Lane......I hold a law degree (JD, Juris Doctorate), with concentration in Tax Law, Estate law & Corporate law, an MBA, with specialization in finance & tax, as well as CFP® and CRPS designations. - I’ve been providing financial, Social Security/Medicare, estate, corporate & tax advice since 1986.
Expert:  Lane replied 1 year ago.
Two final thoughts;...(1) contact your congressman (again, telling them that your rights to records are being violated)...(2) Contact an elder Law attorney (licensed in TN) and have them write a demand letter...I hope this has helped....Please let me know if you have any questions at all....If this HAS helped, and you DON’T have other questions … I'd appreciate a positive rating (using the faces or stars on your screen, and then clicking “submit That’s the only way JustAnswer will credit us for the work here....Thank you!Lane……I hold a law degree (JD, Juris Doctorate), with concentration in Tax Law, Estate law & Corporate law, an MBA, with specialization in finance & tax, as well as CFP® and CRPS designations. - I’ve been providing financial, Social Security/Medicare, estate, corporate & tax advice since 1986.