How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Lev Your Own Question
Lev, Tax Advisor
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 29970
Experience:  Taxes, Immigration, Labor Relations
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Lev is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

What is the maximum penalty and interest California can charge

Customer Question

What is the maximum penalty and interest California can charge for back taxes owed on year 2001 for the amount due of $2161 filed by April 12, 2016? I was told by an FTB representative that I owe over $8000. That is close to or over 400 percent of the original amount owed. Is that correct?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Lev replied 1 year ago.
The maximum penalty is 25 percent of the total unpaid tax.So - your penalty is $540.Interest will be charged on any delinquent or late payment from the original due date of the return to the date paid. Interest compounds daily - that means - it is added daily and interest to the following day included all previously compounded interest..Current interest rate is 3% - but because the interest rate is adjusted twice a year - it may vary the time it was compounded in your case - it was as high as 9%.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
So, for the entire 15 years, it did not maintain a ~9% interest rate? Did it change each year according to the chart (including the rate adjustment twice a year)?
Expert:  Lev replied 1 year ago.
Yes - the interest rate is adjusted two times every year.
Expert:  Lev replied 1 year ago.
But because it is compounded daily - the debt is growing a little faster that with simple annual interest..I appreciate if you take a moment to rate the answer.Experts are ONLY credited when answers are rated positively.If you still have any doubts, need clarification - please be sure to ask.I am here to help you will all tax related issues.