Tax

Have a Tax Question? Ask a Tax Expert

Tax

I work in a town 100 miles from my home. I live in my RV 4

Customer Question
I work in a town...
I work in a town 100 miles from my home. I live in my RV 4 days/week and pay rent for my RV space for $500/month in order to work there. This is a permeant job. Can I deduct the $500/month?
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Tax
4/8/2016
Tax Professional: Lev, Tax Advisor replied 1 year ago
Lev
Lev, Tax Advisor
Unfortunately - there is NO deduction allowed for travel expenses if that is an indefinite job assignment.Deduction is only allowed if that is a temporary work assignment.
Deductions are allowed for all travel expenses - if that is a temporary assignment to a different location.The key in such determination is temporary-According to the IRS - you must determine whether your assignment is temporary or indefinite when you start work. If you expect an assignment or job to last for 1 year or less, it is temporary unless there are facts and circumstances that indicate otherwise.So - if that is a temporary assignment - you may deduct Per Diem, lodging and other travel expenses.You may refer to the IRS publication 463 -http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/p463.pdf.But for permanent job assignment - you may ONLY deduct onetime moving expenses..I appreciate if you take a moment to rate the answer.Experts are ONLY credited when answers are rated positively.If you still have any doubts, need clarification - please be sure to ask.I am here to help you will all tax related issues.
Lev
Lev
Lev, Tax Advisor