Mark Anderson
Mark Anderson, Tax Attorney
Experience:  Tax attorney and accountant
17793914

I was just served a Notice of Citation to appear in court for

Customer Question

I was just served a Notice of Citation to appear in court for taxes that have been paid for by father in law. He owns the house and I manage it. As noted the taxes are paid for and the fees tot he attorney have been paid as well. even on the Notice it shows that everything is paid, the County website shows everything paid. I am confused and don't know what they want.
Category: Tax
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
There is also a weird note about them talking to maid, which I don't have, looking for my father in law who doesn't live here. It also says that Exhibit A has the amount owed but there is no Exhibit A. I don't want to go to court and my father in law lives in CA. I just want it to go away.
Expert:  Anne replied 1 year ago.
HiI'm Anne. I've been preparing taxes for 28 years and I'll be happy to help you. Contact your local VA to learn more about the "Aid and Attendance" program. There are also several non-profits that work with veterans to process their claims. VA benefits are not automatically given; they must be applied for, and recipients must meet certain requirements. Veterans with spouses could receive over $23,000 annually toward personal home care assistance, assisted living or nursing home care. Spouses of deceased veterans may be eligible for over $12,000 annually. Also, you may want to apply through Medicare. It depends on the type of help that you need, but If her doctor has prescribed clinical help that would be administered by a registered nurse, physical therapist, or occupational therapist, Medicare will pay. Also, while under the care of an in-home clinician, a home health aide or other caregiver can be assigned under Medicare coverage for bathing and certain other types of personal care. Medicare will not pay if you need help with activities of daily living such as non-prescribed personal care, meal preparation, medication reminders and housekeeping. The only insurance that does cover these services is long-term care insurance, which is privately purchased. If this answer has helped you, please take the moment to rate positive by clicking on the stars.It is ONLY through positive ratings that we are compensated for our time and knowledge. Thank you for choosing justanswer.
Expert:  Anne replied 1 year ago.
Bethany, I apologize Obviously this answer was not meant for you. Even when I hit the "send" button to post it, it had the other question there. I don't know how this got so crossed.......but I apologize for the confusion.
Expert:  Mark Anderson replied 1 year ago.
I would reply back in writing with proof that shows everything has been paid. I would also request in writing that you be allowed to appear by telephone. I would also apply back that there is no exhibit A. What do you mean maid? Is there any phone number you can call?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
There is a failure to serve paper where they claim to have come to the house and spoken to a maid that told them that my father in law goes to work early and comes home late. That's just fabricated. I don't have a maid and he doesn't not has ever lived here. He lives in CA. There is a phone number for a law office. Even on their own paper work it says that everything is paid.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Here is part of the packet they left. Also it was left on our door handle and not given to someone. It says that it had to left with someone once the age of 16.
Is it in a court? Reply in writing to the court that everything was paid (with proof) and mail a copy to the law firm. Also request to appear via telephone so you don't have to waste your time going there.
What does the notice say?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I can't tell. Most of the wording seems to not say anything.
You might want to call the tax agency and ask. Maybe there is something you owe. Otherwise I would reply in writing and show it is paid.
You would think that they would have sent a bills before they issue a citation.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok on the County website it says that everything is paid In full even their paper work says that. Could the law office just want us to pay more fees?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
They did send a bill for fees and I paid them already. I sent a check for the amount they were requesting for fees and a note explaining that my father in law doesn't live here.
Maybe. I could mail a copy of all the information showing you paid it including the website to court and mail a copy to the law firm.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
This is in their paper work it says statement of taxes due and hen everything is paid.
Their notice does not really say.
I would reply back in writing with the court and copy that law firm that everything is paid.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok, so mail that out and don't call them?
I would probably do both.
If you think I answered your question, then please hit accept. Thank you.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It's like they are making a false claim that they attempted contact. But I don't understand why they would do that when I paid their fees and the taxes. What can't do if I don't show up for court? It says to show up before 10 am of he Monday next after the expiration of 20 days from the date of service of this citation. Which since they didn't properly serve me they can't prove.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
And it's not even me...
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Do I call The court? Or just the law office? When I call what do I say?
I would call the court and say you have proof it has been paid. You can raise improper service too in your response. Ask or file a motion for a continuance if you can't make it. Collection firms are annoying.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Does the inconsistency in their information matter legally? Does it matter that they are serving the wrong person?
Yes.
Raise it as an issue. I would think you would just want to get rid of it and show it was paid.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes, I just printed out the proof going to call the court now thank you.
You are welcome. If you think I answered your question, then please hit accept. Thank you.
Please accept my question if you think I answered your question.