How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Lev Your Own Question
Lev, Tax Advisor
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 29966
Experience:  Taxes, Immigration, Labor Relations
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Lev is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My ssi income is reduced by the amount deducted

Customer Question

my ssi income is reduced by the amount deducted for medicare part B to arrive at my taxable income.
My wife retired from teaching so no ssi. She has medicare A and we pay guarterly for part B. What form do I use to reduce her income, like mine.
It would be better to reduce her income in the amount payed reather than have to claim it as amedical expence sence we dont have enough expenses and have to take the standard deduction.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Lev replied 1 year ago.
Your taxable social security benefits are NOT reduced by the medicare premiums...That is not correct interpretation...However depending on your income - social security benefits may be not taxable or partly taxable.As you likely file a joint tax return - here is a simple test- take your other taxable income- add a half of social security benefits- if teh total is less than $32,000 (for MFJ) - none of your social security benefits are taxable.- If teh result is above that threshold - w need to use a special worksheet to calculate a taxable part on your social security benefits.
Expert:  Lev replied 1 year ago.
.Regarding Medical insurance premium that you and your spouse pay out of pocket - including Medicare premiums - may be deducted as medical expenses on schedule A line 1 - these amounts are added to other medical expenses.But if you are using standard deduction - you may not separately deduct medical expenses.Let me know if you need any clarification this matter...I appreciate if you take a moment to rate the answer.Experts are ONLY credited when answers are rated positively.If you still have any doubts, need clarification - please be sure to ask.I am here to help you with all tax related issues.