Tax

Have a Tax Question? Ask a Tax Expert

Tax

My name is ***** ***** and live in Ohio. I have a 27 yr

Customer Question
Hi, my name is *****...
Hi, my name is ***** ***** and live in Ohio. I have a 27 yr old daughter who has Caresource Insurance. She has some health and mental issues that prevent her from keeping an income source. She has been in and out of the hospital and rehab and comes to stay with us when she is out. We provide all costs for her clothing, personal hygiene and food. We transport her to and from her medical and other appointments. Can we claim her as a dependent without her jeopardizing her medicaid coverage?
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: Hmm..not sure what other details you need.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Tax Professionals generally expect a deposit of about $32 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Tax
4/7/2016
Tax Professional: Lev, Tax Advisor replied 1 year ago
Lev
Lev, Tax Advisor
Generally - these are two separate issues - eligibility to claim a dependent and eligibility for Medicaid.First of all - we need to verify if your daughter may be considered as disabled? If yes - she may be your qualifying child.If she is not disabled - we would need to verify if she is your Qualifying relative .There are certain requirements to be a qualifying relative.
For qualifications - see page 12 - let me know if you need further help with determination.http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/p501.pdfTests To Be a Qualifying Relative1.The person cannot be your qualifying child or the qualifying child of any other taxpayer.2.The person either (a) must be related to you in one of the ways listed under Relatives who do not have to live with you, or (b) must live with you all year as a member of your household (and your relationship must not violate local law).3.The person s gross income for the year must be less than $4000 for 20154.You must provide more than half of the person s total support for the year.So - as long as all these requirements are met - you may claim your daughter as a dependent on your tax return...I appreciate if you take a moment to rate the answer.Experts are ONLY credited when answers are rated positively.If you still have any doubts, need clarification - please be sure to ask.I am here to help you with all tax related issues.
Lev
Lev
Lev, Tax Advisor