Tax

Have a Tax Question? Ask a Tax Expert

Tax

I'm raising money low budget feature film being

Customer Question
Hello. I'm raising money for...
Hello. I'm raising money for a low budget feature film being produced in the US.
Some of our prospective investors are Canadian residents. What are the tax implications for them based on the profit or loss when the film is completed?
Connected to this...what is the best taxation type to use for our LLC considering domestic and foreign investors?
Thank you.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Tax
4/7/2016
Tax Professional: Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4 replied 1 year ago
Robin D.
Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4
HelloCanadians find that U.S. limited partnerships (instead of LLCs or C corporations) work best for them and match with Canada’s tax system.Foreign individuals cannot be members of S corporations, they can be owners of an LLC or members.The members are partners for US tax purposes and the foreign members would have tax withheld on their portion and would be required to file a US 1040NR. Canada gives them a credit on the taxes paid to US.All partners would receive a K1 which shows their share of income or loss. I have a published guide that you may wish to look over.http://hbdlegal.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/07/2614.pdf It is still relevant for tax.
Robin D.
Robin D.
Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4