How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Tyrone J. Taylor Your Own Question
Tyrone J. Taylor
Tyrone J. Taylor, Enrolled Agent
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 52
Experience:  Owner at Taylor Tax and Financial Consulting
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Tyrone J. Taylor is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My tax adviser admitted to making a mistake, which resulted

Customer Question

My tax adviser admitted to making a mistake, which resulted in a tax consequence of
$ 833.- owed by me to the IRS. My Tax liability would have been $ 0 if she would have given me the right advice. Besides that she charged an amount of $195.- for her services.
I probably won't get out of paying the IRS. But is she entitled to her $195.- ?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Tyrone J. Taylor replied 1 year ago.
Good afternoon, Was this error on a tax return recently prepared? If it was, the tax return can be amended. The IRS allows taxes to be amended up to 3 years from the time they were due. So, if this is based on this year's tax return, you need to tell the tax preparer (or find a new one) to file an amendment. Or, they can send in another tax return that will supersede the one sent in by April 18th. It just has to be mailed, and can not be electronically filed. Just so you are aware - you may still get correspondence from the IRS about your superseded tax return because it is an unusual and not well-known process, but this is a valid way to correct a tax return before the filing due date.I hope this answer helps you. If you have any other questions, please let me know. If not, please go ahead and rate my answer. Thank you, ***** ***** a great day.
Expert:  Tyrone J. Taylor replied 1 year ago.
Good morning,I am checking to see if you needed any clarification for my answer. If your question has been answered, please go ahead and rate my answer so your question can be closed out. Thank you.