Tax

Have a Tax Question? Ask a Tax Expert

Tax

I have created a joint custodial bank account son to

Customer Question
I have created a joint...
I have created a joint custodial bank account for my son to save money for college. By putting money into this account, is this considered a gift? Is there a tax consequence?
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Tax
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
(Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
4/6/2016
Tax Professional: Barbara, Enrolled Agent replied 1 year ago
Barbara
Barbara, Enrolled Agent
Welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist you.There are no limits to the amount of money that can be deposited into a custodial savings account, but amounts over $14,000 are subject to the gift tax. This means if you deposit more than $14,000 into the account during a tax year, you will be required to REPORT the gift on Form 709. No tax will be due unless you have exceeded your lifetime gift cap of $5.43 million.http://www.learnvest.com/2011/07/what-you-need-to-know-about-custodial-savings-accounts/https://www.irs.gov/uac/About-Form-709Please let me know if I can assist you further.Thank you and best regards,Barb
Just following up with you to see if you have any other questions or concerns. If so, please come back to me here, and I will be happy to assist you.Best regards,Barb
Barbara
Barbara
Barbara, Enrolled Agent