How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Arthur Rubin Your Own Question
Arthur Rubin
Arthur Rubin, Tax Preparer
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 1561
Experience:  22 years of tax preparation experience, including individual, trust, and estate returns.
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Arthur Rubin is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am married but separated I had to pay this year do to an

Customer Question

I am married but separated I had to pay this year do to an IRA. an early retirement.
and now I received a check in mail as a return. we did own a house some odd years ago
could this be do to my husbands return?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Arthur Rubin replied 1 year ago.
A refund from a previous joint return, if by check, would be in both of your names, so that can't be the reason. A refund from your spouse's separate return would be in his name, not yours. Perhaps you received a refund check for an arithmetic error, if you didn't E-file. What reason is given on the check or associated material?