How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Lev Your Own Question
Lev, Tax Advisor
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 29571
Experience:  Taxes, Immigration, Labor Relations
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Lev is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I'm in California I am executor of a trust who just sold the

Customer Question

I'm in California I am executor of a trust who just sold the house in five months need to know what forms I need to file before I disperse the funds from the house to all Who is entitled
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Lev replied 1 year ago.
You will report the sale transaction on form 8949 - and the gain or loss will be transferred to schedule D and eventually to form 1041.What we need to verify - if the property is inherited. If yes - there will be so-called stepped up basis equals to the fair market value at the time the decedent passed away. Thus - if the property is sold shortly after that - there will not likely be any gain - but may be a small loss because of selling expenses - and that loss will be passed to beneficiaries.Please be aware if the trust realized a loss or have unused deductible expenses- these are passed to beneficiaries on the FINAL tax return. Let me know if you need any help with reporting.