Wallstreet Esq.
Wallstreet Esq., Tax Attorney
Experience:  10 years experience
16356563

IF I PURCHASE AN APARTMENT BUILDING IN 2016 MILLION WITH

Customer Question

IF I PURCHASE AN APARTMENT BUILDING IN 2016 FOR 2 MILLION WITH AN ALLOCATED BUILDING VALUE OF 1 MILLION, WHAT DEPRECIATION CAN I TAKE FOR BONUS DEPRECIATION IN 2016?
THANK YOU
Category: Tax
Expert:  Jonathan Tierney replied 1 year ago.
Hi, my name is ***** ***** I can help. Unfortunately, apartment buildings and other residential real property do not qualify for 179 or bonus depreciation. In addition, for real property you must use the mid-month convention to start depreciation, which means you would need to know the month the building was placed in service to determine how much is will be depreciated the first year. Do you have know what month the building would be available for use?