How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Wallstreet Esq. Your Own Question
Wallstreet Esq.
Wallstreet Esq., Tax Attorney
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 586
Experience:  10 years experience
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Wallstreet Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I loaned a small business $20,000 to start up. I received

Customer Question

I loaned a small business $20,000 to start up. I received 3 payments of $725.00 dollars and then the business closed. I will not receive another payment so the net investment is lost. How do I proceed with my taxes? Can I write this off?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Jonathan Tierney replied 1 year ago.
Hi, my name is ***** ***** I can help. A nonbusiness bad debt is deductible as a capital loss on Form 8949, which flows to Schedule D, and finally to Form 1040. You would report loss as a sale in which no 1099 was issued and report $2,175 as the proceeds and $20,000 as your basis, resulting in a $17,825 capital loss. I hope this answers your question. Please let me know if I can clarify anything or answer any additional questions.Thanks, Jonathan