How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Robin D. Your Own Question
Robin D.
Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 15738
Experience:  15years with H & R Block. Divisional leader, Instructor
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Robin D. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have a tax question. I went through a divorce and my

Customer Question

I have a tax question. I went through a divorce and my settlement left me needed to live out of my retirement. I took 43000 last year out of my retirement. How does the 25% penalty work. I am 39 but I was told the 25% only applies if taken out of first 2 years of plan.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Robin D. replied 1 year ago.
HelloThere is a 10% tax penalty if you make an early distribution from your retirement account. Early means before you turn 59 1/2.A special rule applies to a distribution received from a SIMPLE IRA during the 2-year period beginning on the date on which you first participated in your employer’s SIMPLE IRA plan. Under this special rule, if the additional income tax on early distributions applies to a distribution within this 2-year period, then the rate of additional tax under this special rule is increased from 10 percent to 25 percent.If your plan is not a Simple IRA then that does not apply to you.What type of plan did you take out of.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am not sure..i am looking at my 1099 R form now
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
box 7 says IRA/SEP/SIMPLE
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
also this is not a new plan. At least 4 years ago. I rolled a 401K over to this plan in 2012
Expert:  Robin D. replied 1 year ago.
Then this is an IRA. You would be subject to 10% but not the 25% unless it was a SIMPLE IRA.A simple IRA is for mostly self employed. If you rolled form an 401k then this is TRADITIONAL IRA.The 10% but not the 25%.You pay the additional tax when you file your return. It will be calculated on the distribution amount.You are required to click a positive rating if I am to be credited with the response.You have to actively click on a rating and click submit. Smiley Faces or Stars.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
So, I moved jobs in 2012. I had all my money in a 401K at that company. I transferred to ***** ***** in 12. So, that makes it a traditional IRA?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Because on w2 for ***** ***** it reads in box 7 for distribution code: IRA/SEP/SIMPLE
Expert:  Robin D. replied 1 year ago.
Yes it was a Trad IRA. The box says all because any of those would be in that box.