How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Lev Your Own Question
Lev, Tax Advisor
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 29919
Experience:  Taxes, Immigration, Labor Relations
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Lev is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

1099 mi form JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details

Customer Question

1099 mi form
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: Yes I revived a settlement in two parts 43602.00 one was taxed as wages other was for pain and suffering and punitive damages . I filed my taxes not putting second part of the pay , as my As
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Tax Professionals generally expect a deposit of about $32 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Tax
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
So basically what happened is that I received a 1099 miscellaneous form. But what confuses me is half of the settlement was back wages and I received a W-2 form and I pay those taxes earlier this year and today I received this form but the amount is showinh full settlement .
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
(Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Lev replied 1 year ago.
To determine if settlement amounts you receive by compromise or judgment must be included in your income, you must consider the item that the settlement replaces.Based on your information - the full amount of settlement is taxable and correctly reported.The amount reported as wages should be reported on line 7 form 1041 and additional amount is reported on line 21.In additional - you may deduct attorney fees and other legal expenses as these are related to taxable income. If you did not report a part of compensation - that is not correct - and you need to amend your tax return and correct that mistake.You may ONLY exclude from your income compensatory damages for personal physical injury or physical sickness (whether received in a lump sum or installments) - and that is not a a case based on your information.The part of settlement correctly reported on form 1099misc - but it looks as teh amount reported is not correct - in this case - you will need to communicate the sender and ask for correction. .
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Okay so basically ask for a corrected 1099 form and if they don't correct it ? I am just so confused my full amount is on 1099 when the paid half on w2 and I paid that already .
Expert:  Lev replied 1 year ago.
Expert:  Lev replied 1 year ago.
Here are from IRS instructions...Form 1099-MISC incorrect? If this form is incorrect or has been issued in error, contact the payer. If you cannot get this form corrected, attach an explanation to your tax return and report your income correctly.So - you would not be able to get teh form corrected - you will need to report teh correct amount of income and attach a note with explanation of facts, reasoning and steps you done to correct the error...I appreciate if you take a moment to rate the answer.Experts are ONLY credited when answers are rated positively.If you still have any doubts, need clarification - please be sure to ask.I am here to help you with all tax related issues.