How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Lev Your Own Question
Lev, Tax Advisor
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 29965
Experience:  Taxes, Immigration, Labor Relations
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Lev is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Robin I am employed and work from home. My organization requires me to travel from At

Customer Question

Hi Robin
I am employed and work from home. My organization requires me to travel from Atlanta (my home) to DC one week a month for work. My company does not reimburse me for my travel expenses. Can I declare my travel expenses as unreimbursed business expense. If yes, what qualifies?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Lev replied 1 year ago.
Hi and welcome to our site!Deductions are allowed for all travel expenses - if that is a temporary assignment to a different location.The key in such determination is temporary-According to the IRS - you must determine whether your assignment is temporary or indefinite when you start work. If you expect an assignment or job to last for 1 year or less, it is temporary unless there are facts and circumstances that indicate otherwise.So - if that is a temporary assignment - you may deduct Per Diem, lodging and other travel expenses.
Expert:  Lev replied 1 year ago.
You may refer to the IRS publication 463 - 5 - Table 1-1. Travel Expenses You Can DeductRegarding Per Diem rate can use the standard meal allowance method as an alternative to the actual cost method. It allows you to use a set amount for your daily meals and incidental expenses (M&IE), instead of keeping records of your actual costs.Your allowable lodging expense deduction is your actual cost.Receipts are required for lodging.If you are using you car to travel to temporary job locations - you may deduct car expenses - either actual OR based on thr standard mileage rate.All these are DEDUCTIBLE work related expenses. Tools and in protective clothing which are job related are deductibleAll nontaxable reimbursements will reduce allowed deduction.How to deduct - depends if the taxpayer is an employee or a a self-employed contractor.Let me know if you need any help with reporting.