How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Lev Your Own Question
Lev, Tax Advisor
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 29965
Experience:  Taxes, Immigration, Labor Relations
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Lev is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

What happens if by accident I filed my taxes twice

Customer Question

What happens if by accident I filed my taxes twice
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Lev replied 1 year ago.
Hi and welcome to our site!You would NOT be able to file your tax return twice...After the IRS accept and process your tax return - the IRS system will reject any subsequent filing.If you want to make changed to the tax return which was already filed - you woudl need to file an amended tax return - using form 1040X and main that tax return to the IRS.Let me know if you need any help with that.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
So I just have to wait until my taxes are received by the IRS
Expert:  Lev replied 1 year ago.
If you e-filed - there is no wait - and your tax return will be accepted or rejected almost immediately.
Expert:  Lev replied 1 year ago.
In most situations you woudl have a real time response as a matter of several minutes.If you mailed your tax return to the IRS - that will take a little longer for processing - but you will be able to verify your status on the IRS website..I appreciate if you take a moment to rate the answer.Experts are ONLY credited when answers are rated positively.If you still have any doubts, need clarification - please be sure to ask.I am here to help you with all tax related issues.