Tax

Have a Tax Question? Ask a Tax Expert

Tax

My family (I, my wife and 2 young kids) live in San Antonio,

Customer Question
Texas. I took an employed...
My family (I, my wife and 2 young kids) live in San Antonio, Texas. I took an employed job in Lubbock, Texas in mid 2015. I moved by myself to Lubbock and bought a home and paid it off by cash. Of course I am paying property taxes, utilities, etc. Also I am driving from Lubbock to San Antonio and back about 2-3 times a month. My question what deductions I should claim as a result of the 2nd home and travel?
Under what section in Turbo tax these deduction should be entered?
Thanks
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Tax
4/4/2016
Tax Professional: Lev, Tax Advisor replied 1 year ago
Lev
Lev, Tax Advisor
Deductions are allowed for all travel expenses - if that is a temporary assignment to a different location.The key in such determination is temporary-According to the IRS - you must determine whether your assignment is temporary or indefinite when you start work. If you expect an assignment or job to last for 1 year or less, it is temporary unless there are facts and circumstances that indicate otherwise.
So - if that is a temporary assignment - you may deduct Per Diem, lodging and other travel expenses.If however that is an indefinite assignment - travel expenses are NOT deductible - but you may deduct one time moving expenses.On the other hand as you maintain two homes - you are eligible to deduct mortgage interest and real estate taxes on both homes. That deduction is claimed on schedule A..I appreciate if you take a moment to rate the answer.Experts are ONLY credited when answers are rated positively.If you still have any doubts, need clarification - please be sure to ask.I am here to help you will all tax related issues.
Lev
Lev
Lev, Tax Advisor