How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Lev Your Own Question
Lev, Tax Advisor
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 29965
Experience:  Taxes, Immigration, Labor Relations
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Lev is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My family (I, my wife and 2 young kids) live in San Antonio,

Customer Question

My family (I, my wife and 2 young kids) live in San Antonio, Texas. I took an employed job in Lubbock, Texas in mid 2015. I moved by myself to Lubbock and bought a home and paid it off by cash. Of course I am paying property taxes, utilities, etc. Also I am driving from Lubbock to San Antonio and back about 2-3 times a month. My question what deductions I should claim as a result of the 2nd home and travel?
Under what section in Turbo tax these deduction should be entered?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Lev replied 1 year ago.
Deductions are allowed for all travel expenses - if that is a temporary assignment to a different location.The key in such determination is temporary-According to the IRS - you must determine whether your assignment is temporary or indefinite when you start work. If you expect an assignment or job to last for 1 year or less, it is temporary unless there are facts and circumstances that indicate otherwise.
Expert:  Lev replied 1 year ago.
So - if that is a temporary assignment - you may deduct Per Diem, lodging and other travel expenses.If however that is an indefinite assignment - travel expenses are NOT deductible - but you may deduct one time moving expenses.On the other hand as you maintain two homes - you are eligible to deduct mortgage interest and real estate taxes on both homes. That deduction is claimed on schedule A..I appreciate if you take a moment to rate the answer.Experts are ONLY credited when answers are rated positively.If you still have any doubts, need clarification - please be sure to ask.I am here to help you will all tax related issues.