How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Lev Your Own Question
Lev, Tax Advisor
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 29953
Experience:  Taxes, Immigration, Labor Relations
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Lev is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am a Canadian and have worked in the US on a TN1 Visa. I'm

Customer Question

I am a Canadian and have worked in the US on a TN1 Visa. I'm 68 and have never earned US income in the past. Do I need to pay US self employment taxes?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Lev replied 1 year ago.
If you are working as an employee - and your income is reported as wages on W2 form - there is NO self-employment tax.On the other hand - if you are living in the US and you are US resident alien for tax purposes - AND have self-employment income - then - yeas you are subject to both income and self-employment taxes.Please provide more information about your type of income and your residency for better assessment.