Lev
Lev, Tax Advisor
Experience:  Taxes, Immigration, Labor Relations
870116

I am a Canadian and have worked in the US on a TN1 Visa. I'm

Customer Question

I am a Canadian and have worked in the US on a TN1 Visa. I'm 68 and have never earned US income in the past. Do I need to pay US self employment taxes?
Category: Tax
Expert:  Lev replied 1 year ago.
If you are working as an employee - and your income is reported as wages on W2 form - there is NO self-employment tax.On the other hand - if you are living in the US and you are US resident alien for tax purposes - AND have self-employment income - then - yeas you are subject to both income and self-employment taxes.Please provide more information about your type of income and your residency for better assessment.