How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Wallstreet Esq. Your Own Question
Wallstreet Esq.
Wallstreet Esq., Tax Attorney
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 585
Experience:  10 years experience
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Wallstreet Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Pearl -- JA: The Accountant will know how to help. Please

Customer Question

Hi Pearl --
JA: The Accountant will know how to help. Please tell me more so we can help you best.
Customer: I am trying to file my federal and state taxes, but was only a NY resident (and NYC resident) for part of the year. However, I'm not seeing any percentage adjustment to my taxes based on the number of days lived in NYC -- just a full refund of the NYC tax amount if I check part-time resident.
JA: Anything else I can tell the Accountant before I connect you two?
Customer: No thanks
JA: I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Accountant about your situation and connect you two.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Lev replied 1 year ago.
If you changed your New York City or Yonkers resident status during the year, complete Form IT-360.1, Change of City Resident Status.Regardless on the dates of your residency change - you will have income taxable for NYC and not taxable - so you will need to report on that form adjustment to your income.You start with your federal adjusted gross income and fill column B for each income type for NYC.Enter the period you were a New York City resident during 2015 on line 37 for dependency exemption calculations.Questions?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I will go back and make sure I've done that correctly, but haven't been seeing an adjustment to my refund based on days lived in NYC. Just to make sure I have this straight, because I've calculated what my city / state tax return *should* be based on this form, my income, and local income tax that's already been paid:
Expert:  Lev replied 1 year ago.
You must file Form IT-203 if you:were not a resident of New York State and received income during the tax year from New York State sources, or moved into or out of New York State during the tax year.You are subject to New York State income tax on:income you received from New York sources while you were a nonresidentall income you received while you were a New York State resident.You must also complete and submit with your return:Form IT-203-ATT, Other Tax Credits and Taxes, if you aresubject to other New York State taxesclaiming any credits other than those claimed directly on Form IT-203 (e.g., long-term care insurance credit or farmers' school tax credit)Form IT-203-D, Nonresident and Part-Year Resident Itemized Deduction Schedule, to claim the New York itemized deduction.Use Form IT-225, New York State Modifications, to report New York State addition and subtraction modifications to federal AGI other than those specifically listed on Form IT-203.