How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Robin D. Your Own Question
Robin D.
Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 15607
Experience:  15years with H & R Block. Divisional leader, Instructor
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Robin D. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I frequently send money and school tuition for

Customer Question

I frequently send money for support and school tuition for two young men in Haiti. Typically about 1000 per year per kid. Is this tax deductible and how?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Robin D. replied 1 year ago.
HelloYou are not allowed to deduct gifts made to individuals. Because the amounts are below the annual limit for gifts ($14000 to any one person in the year) you are not required to report the gifts either.If the money was given first to a recognized US charitable organization you could claim the amount if you used Schedule A to itemize.I wish I could tell you differently.Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need. If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Thank you!
Expert:  Robin D. replied 1 year ago.
Checking to see if you responded